Wednesday 6 February 2013

Is 2013 the new 1913?

After the wave of Brüning comparisons, the latest seems to be now to compare our current predicament with the months preceding World War I. I wonder whether this reflects a gradual increase in confidence, given that WWI was perhaps marginally less catastrophic than WWII. Or is it just that journalists are broadening their search for historical metaphors. If that is the case we will not have to wait long for the first 'collapse of the Roman Empire' comparison. Oh wait, we had that already... 

On a more serious note I will now devote a number of posts to the 1914 comparison. Gideon Rachman's article in the FT about the 1914 analogy is particularly interesting if you read it in conjunction with some other recent pieces here, here and here. I won't be able to go through all of this in one go, but will deal with them on article at a time. 

(I have made the font of this blog slightly bigger. Is that better?)

No comments:

Post a Comment